Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Interesting Judicial Ruling

A judge in New York had found against Fox Searchlight Pictures and says they must pay interns for the work that was done. Unpaid internships are very common and I never understood why it was okay. Yes, I know one is getting college credit and work experience, but it also seemed to me that is the company involved was basically getting free labor. Seemed to me the company got far more out of it than the intern did based on what I was told over the years by some who had gone through these deals as well as what I had read about them.

Sounds like this judge saw it the same way in the story here. It will get appealed so it is not the end of the matter in this court or in other courts where other cases have been filed. Still, it is an interesting judicial ruling that could have considerable impact.


No comments: