Sunday, December 08, 2013

Sample Sunday--"Bartholomew Mortiman" in "Mind Slices: A Collection Of New And Previously Published Stories"

Today I thought I would share a sample from “Bartholomew Mortiman.” It was only when I was putting the collection together for editing by Barry that I realized this story touches on several themes that run through a lot of my work. It was not deliberate so I think it must be the power of the subconscious.


BARTHOLOMEW MORTIMAN
STUDENT BARTHOLOMEW MORTIMAN
PRESUMED DEAD, FIRE UNEXPLAINED.
COMPILED FROM AP, UPI WIRE REPORTS. . .


Today, fire fighters recovered the remains of a journal from the destroyed apartment of Bartholomew Mortiman. Mr. Mortiman, undergraduate at City College, is believed to have perished in the intense fire, even though his body has not been recovered. While known for his odd behavior in a neighborhood famous for eccentricity, in recent weeks his personal torment had apparently grown. Fellow students said that the troubled Mr. Mortiman had caused several outbursts recently in classes. While he had always questioned the usefulness of the college experience and his course work, recently he had become more agitated and prone to wild accusations. According to classmates, his quality of work declined at the same time his comments about “something evil coming for him” grew.


Reporters were shown some of the recent artwork that Mr. Mortiman had created in the last weeks before his apparent death. The dark images seem to make use of a considerable amount of blood, gore, and a figure in various paintings that may be a representation of Satan. Neighbors and friends dispute the suggestion by Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms agents that Mr. Mortiman was a collector of firearms and possibly a known drug dealer and user.


However, a portion of his personal journal, released by ATF agents, seems to confirm the ATF position. ATF agents say that part of the journal was covered by a large cross and accompanying rosary, which may have protected it from burning. Despite the intensity of the fire, these few pages are almost perfectly intact and do not show any signs of singeing or water damage. The following is, according to the ATF, the complete portion of the journal that survived the fire.

Friday, April 9th

Sarah had asked me to attend her church tonight. Despite my long-standing personal misgivings about religion, I said yes. I never should have gone with her. Many questions have been answered, but the burden of such knowledge is almost more than I can bear. Now I have a responsibility to try to stop something that I may not survive. Since I have been led to this confrontation all my life, it is my hope that I will survive. Hopefully, the ancient legends and stories are true. If not, I leave this record as witness to my plans in the hope that others will follow in the battle…..



The very positively reviewed book is  available for $2.99 at the following sites….



I hope you will take a look.

Kevin

No comments: