Sunday, September 07, 2014

Prediction Time

I expect a 6-10 season from the Cowboys starting with a loss to the 49ers today. I am hoping I am wrong on both counts.

I also think with having very little talent on either side of the ball, that an injury to a key player or two could make the season much worse than 6-10.  I don't expect Romo to play in more than half the games this season. in fact, I expect him to play in far fewer and quite possibly done for the season early on.  34 with multiple back surgeries does not give me confidence.

I'm not saying Johnny Football was the answer, but I still wish the Cowboys had seen fit to bring him here. Worst case scenario, behind an offensive line tat is weak, at least he could run for his life and make something happen to salvage a play.

I don't think the Coach is the issue. I do expect him to be fired at the end of the season. I hope I am wrong as I like him a lot and respect what he is trying to do.

I believe the reason things are so pathetic boils down to a lack of talent created by the GM/Owner who has not been able to evolve as the game has changed. The style of the game today is far different than when he came in, cleaned house, and helped build a winning team over twenty years ago. Football is a game that evolves (as do most other sports) and will continue to evolve. At this point, Jerry, would be far better off getting out of the way and turning the staff completely loose to do their jobs. That applies no matter who is the coach.

Win, lose, or draw I will always be a fan. But, it is very hard to watch the team I have loved since I was a child and so desperately wanted to be Roger the Dodger someday,  become a laughingstock around the league and country.

4 comments:

Barry Ergang said...

I sincerely think the Cowboys will not be considered a laughingstock despite Jerry Jones' micromanagement and atavistic approach.

That said, my Eagles today looked hopeless in the 1st half, down 17-0, having given up two touchdowns at the beginning of the 1st quarter. I was prepared to turn off the TV and read if they didn't wake up in the 3rd quarter.

As it turned out, I did no reading. They scored 34 unanswered points in the 2nd half, beating Jacksonville 34-17.

But it's early yet, and they have the remainder of the season to do what they do best: break Philly fans' hearts.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

While your guys got going in the second half, my guys didn't. It could be a very long season.

Randy Johnson said...

Misery loves company as the old cliche goes. RGIII looked miserable and I have a sneaking idea that his best days may be behind him.

Say to say about a QB so young, but the knee injury may be more than anyone is ready to admit.

Methinks Romo and he have probably seen their best days.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I watched part of that game as well and saw the same thing you saw, Randy. It follows his behavior during the preseason. That knee is still not right and he definitely limps from time to time and has lost his speed. It is sad to watch.....especially when one knows how good he was at Baylor.