Thursday, July 09, 2015

Amazon's "Personal Connection" Review Policies Are Nothing New (Writer Beware)

Amazon's "Personal Connection" Review Policies Are Nothing New (Writer Beware)

In the interests of fair disclosure, I am one of the 9k plus who has signed the petition. I think the policy is total garbage and is now being enforced in new ways. I know--in some way--hundreds of authors. Considering I have been reviewing since around 2000 it may be that I technically know over a thousand authors. Yet, outside of my local writing group which is made up of several authors way more successful than myself, I have only met in person a few more. Nearly all of those were at various meetings at the Hardboiled Heroes and Cozy Cats conferences here years ago. I would argue that those few I have met in person I don't truly know any more than those I have had contacts with online.

I would rather see Amazon focus on improving review quality than whether or not somebody knows somebody. Make the FTC disclosure requirement a part of all reviews and that would solve a lot of the issues. Bring back a minimum word count for the review. My suggestion would be 100 words minimum. That would end the one word reviews and hopefully end the "Best book ever!!" type reviews.

No comments: