Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Happy Thanksgiving from all us Tipples!

We won't be doing a turkey and all the trimmings today as cooking the bird was always something Sandi did every year. I was always in charge of muscling the bird in and out of the oven, handling potatoes, and other things as well as getting the heck out of the way whenever she ordered me to do so. With the way things are here, there just didn't seem any point in my trying to blunder through trying top cook a bird and all. Today she is in tremendous pain and it is clear that she is slowly getting worse. The hospice folks return tomorrow. The focus on today will remain on trying to keep her comfortable and having a quiet day. More important than ever before as everyone involved in her treatment believes this is the last holiday she will be with us. 

In far more pleasant news.....You may have already seen these pictures Scott took back on Tuesday if you are on Facebook with us, but if not, I thought I would share with you the most recent pictures of our grandson. Jacob Ryan came over Tuesday afternoon and brought along his parents, Amy and Karl. Jacob is now ten months old and growing like crazy.



First up is Sandi with Jacob. The little guy really wanted her glasses, so I kept my hands nearby to protect them as well as help her as she is a squirmy worm when you try to hold him. He takes after his dad, Karl, on that. You can also see her new minion buddy in the bed with her thanks to Karl and Amy. Sandi has always been a huge fan of the minions and was very happy to get him.






This picture is of Amy, Jacob's mom and myself sitting in respective recliners. Eventually, Jacob came crawling across the arm rests and into my lap.









One of several times he ended up in my lap. We tried several times to work it where both of us were looking at the camera, but that did not work out too well.














The final picture is of Jacob with his father, Karl. Ignore the mess behind them. With everything going on hospice wise, trying to clean up more stuff has not been a priority.


As things escalate in the wrong direction, I am very thankful that Sandi has been able to be coherent during the recent visits with Jacob and been able to hold him. At the same time, it is also hard as I , and all the rest of us know, how short the time frame is and all that she is going to miss out on in the coming months.

4 comments:

Jerry House said...

Jacob is an absolute cutie! I'm so glad that Sandi got to play with him on Tuesday.

This will probably be the most difficult Thanksgiving you will ever have but you much to be thankful for, especially the many years with your wife.

As for me, I'm thankful that I have gotten to know the two of you through your blog. Your kindness, your strength, and your courage have meant much to me. Take care.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

It is the hardest since she was diagnosed six years ago today. It was on Thanksgiving Day 2011 when, at about 2 pm, 9 very somber doctors gathered around her bed at Baylor Plano and broke the news to her that she had cancer. Our new normal began than. I am not sure what was all said to us as we were so blindsided and stunned that the rest of that afternoon was pretty much a blur for us. We talked about it afterwards and neither one of us had much of an idea what went on.

Today finds her in tremendous pain and almost constant spasm in her back from the damn spinal tumor. The meds are helping her some so I am hoping we get more pain control as the day goes on.

Thankful to have gotten to know you as well, Jerry. I don't think I am all that special, but thank you. And, yes, Jacob Ryan is pretty cool and definitely one heck of a cutie.

Elizabeth said...

Thinking of you today. So glad you're in your own home these days & happy that Sandi got to hold little Jacob again. Hope she feels better when the meds kick in.

As far as food for Thanksgiving, I think turkey is overrated. I'm over 60 & I've only cooked a whole turkey once in my life! We're having cranberry chicken, which is stupid easy & husband asks for it every year.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. She has had a very tough day. Spent a lot of it shrieking as she came awake each time a back spasm hit.Both the hospice aide and the LVN will be here tomorrow so I am hoping to get through the night.

Well, the giant bird might be overrated, but I do like it. I have no idea what cranberry chicken is. However, since I am the only one here who is not violently and dangerously allergic to cranberries, I don't think that cranberry chicken will be done here. :)