Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Guest Post: Jeanne and Treadmill Books: Bridal Bouquet Shop Mysteries by Beverly Allen

Jeanne of the Bookblog of the Bristol Library is back today with her latest review…

Treadmill Books:  Bridal Bouquet Shop Mysteries by Beverly Allen

Audrey Bloom is the appropriately named owner of a flower shop that specializes in bridal bouquets.  The shop’s claim to fame is that brides who carry her bouquets have had happy marriages, but it appears that streak might be broken when Audrey’s childhood friend Jenny wants a bouquet, only to have the groom expire before the walk down the aisle.  Of course, this being a mystery series, foul play is involved—as is one of Audrey’s bouquets.

That’s the plot of Bloom and Doom, the first of three books in the series.  Audrey is a plucky heroine with a healthy dose of self-respect even though she was dumped by her fiancé and her father ran off when she was a child.  Spending time with her beloved Gran and cousin Olivia was her salvation.  Now she lives in Gran’s old house and Olivia is a partner in the flower shop.  Audrey’s breezy personality and self-assurance were selling points for me, especially as she is a. . .  um, healthy girl. (One of my favorite scenes came in the second book when a fashionista told Audrey snidely there was no way that Audrey was a size 12, to which Audrey responded, “You just have to know where to shop.”  As someone who is baffled and bemused by sizing these days, I could identify even as I revel in vanity sizing.)

Another selling point for me was learning about the Victorian Language of Flowers. Audrey likes to be sure that her bouquets send the right message, though it can be confusing at times since the same flower can have several different meanings.  Some reviewers didn’t care for that aspect of the series, but I loved it.  I cut my mystery teeth on Agatha Christie novels, and many’s the time that the solution of a case involved the message sent by bouquet.

Although Bloom and Doom had its share of “first in series” moments (i.e., when time must be spent to lay groundwork and to introduce characters) but I liked it well enough to read the second, For Whom the Bluebell Tolls, in which a reality wedding show is filming in quaint little Ramble, Virginia, where the series is set.  While the series doesn’t have a strong sense of place, the expectations of the film crew are played for some comic effect. 

I just finished the third, and apparently final, book in the series, Floral Depravity. Audrey is doing the flowers for a wedding with a serious medieval flare: it’s being staged at a re-enactors’ encampment where cell phones are forbidden and one can be tossed out for having potatoes.  Unfortunately, someone has indeed added a little something extra to a stew which, while authentic to the period, is also lethal—monkshood.  The father of the groom promptly expires and Audrey finds herself involved in another murder case.

The plots are well done enough, but the real appeal for me is the sense of humor displayed in the books.  I also appreciate the tidbits of information which this time around included details of medieval life.  Let’s just say I would rather not wear any yellow garment authentic to the era. The characters, especially Audrey are delightful.

Most of all, I appreciated the way that the third book ended.  My suspicion is that the author thought it might be the last in the series, so while the door is left open for the characters’ return, a number of ongoing plot lines were wrapped up in a most satisfying way.  Thank you, Beverley Allen (aka Barbara Early), for treating your readers so well!

I finished Floral Depravity on the treadmill yesterday. Due to inclement weather (i.e., it was as cold as kraut out there!), I had a LOT of steps to do and I couldn’t have asked for a better book for the journey. My feet were sore, but I had a smile on my face. So, yes, this is a good treadmill series.


2 comments:

Barbara Early said...

So happy you enjoyed meeting Audrey!

Unknown said...

Its really an interesting post on running machine