Saturday, November 24, 2012

Medicare Appeal Deal


Medicare is seriously confusing. I wrote a couple of weeks ago about how I had applied for assistance with Medicare Part B and assistance with Part D.  Right now I have no part D (the drug part) and pay $100 a month for Part B. I talked about how I had filed out paperwork to get assistance. I had thought I was applying for help with Part B ---so that I didn’t pay $100 a month. Instead, I was applying for help with Part D and that was what had been denied.

Apparently help with Part B is up to the state of Texas which recently denied me saying I hadn’t filed out an application. Of course, one can’t fill out an application if one does not get one. But, that is a separate issue. Our food stamps have been cutoff due to another error by them so it isn’t surprising this is messed up as well.

After appealing the recent Social Security decision against me and providing Sandi’s paystubs again as well as her copies of her unpaid medical leave paperwork as requested by an office of Social Security up in Baltimore, I got the decision today. They have thankfully reversed course and finally approved me.

This means I am now approved for some sort of financial help to purchase the MEDICARE PART D deal. How much a month I have no idea at all, but anything will be a huge help.

So, now I have to spend some time working through government websites and trying to figure out which plan will work for me. Hopefully, I will be notified how much in assistance I am eligible for before the signup cutoff date of December 7.

I am also going to photocopy the Social Security approval letter and send it to the same state government people who denied me because I supposedly failed to fill out their application (one I never got) and see if anything can be done.

Kevin

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Good luck plowing through the minefields. When I was going through similar stuff, not nearly as bad as you folks though, I often wondering if it was all deliberate to discourage people into giving up.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

It do make one wonder.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

It is a wonder how anybody deserving is receiving anything, especially as you're able to read and comprehend. I wonder for those folks who cannot read...

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I honestly wonder, Terry. Any mental impairment, like my son has, makes these things doubly difficult.