Sunday, June 16, 2024

Short Story Excerpt: The Hospital Boomerang by Kevin R. Tipple

 

This Tuesday is Publication Day for the new anthology, Larceny & Last Chances: 22 Stories of Mystery & Suspense. Published by Superior Shores Press, edited by Judy Penz Sheluk, the read is available in both print and digital formats at Amazon and other vendors. It also contains my short story, “The Hospital Boomerang.”

My short story is a crime fiction tale set in small town Texas.  Our narrator is a bit bitter and has gone through some things over the years. He also has a bit of a sarcastic streak as he narrates the story.


Below is a small excerpt from the beginning of the tale. I hope you will want to see more and pick up the book.

 

 

The Hospital Boomerang by Kevin R. Tipple 

 

It was the damn beeping that woke me up. I opened my eyes, only to see the same crappy tile overhead that I had seen once before. A heart monitor and an IV drip machine beeped. I looked down my bed. Neither wrist was handcuffed to the rail of the bed. An improvement over my last visit.

            The pain in my stomach was not an improvement. Neither was the pain that ripped through me when I moved my legs.

            “Damn.”

 

I am also going to have a guest post on Art Taylor’s The First Two Pages  where I go into a bit more depth about the tale and what I tried to accomplish in it. Will let you know when that piece goes live. It should be up soon. 

Hope you check out the read. I am still amazed to be in the book. 

2 comments:

KM Rockwood said...

I've ordered a copy--it should ship soon.

Looking forward to reading your story--and all the other ones.

I like to read a short story every night before I go to bed.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Mine is shorter than many which means you could do a double feature. Hope you enjoy the book.