Tuesday, May 19, 2009

HHCC 2009

has been cancelled. Per the website at http://www.mwasw.org/conf.html refunds will be sent out.

One has to wonder if the stricter standards put in to define what a publisher is, who an author is, etc. killed the conference this year. I find it hard to believe it was just because of the flu scare and the economy as stated on the website. Too many people I read commenting about MWA online were boycotting various events directly because of the new rules.

Regardless of the reasons behind the cancellation, I am very disappointed this has happened. This is the only conference in the immediate area I can get to and something I very much look forward to every year. It is going to be a real shame not to have it this year.

Kevin

2 comments:

Dave Zeltserman said...

Kevin, I'm pretty sure it's the economy that killed, not the definition of who's a publisher. A lot of people in publishing are cutting back severely.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I'm sure the economy was a factor though I have heard from about twenty folks so far in private e-mails who stressed that the one and only factor for thier non participation was the new rules. Now, twenty isn't that many in the grand scheme of things but could be indicative of a far greater number who just isn't commenting.

And then there have been the few folks who commented publicly on various lists that the rules made the decison for them not to attend.