Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Writing and Health

Sunday marked the start of the sixth month I have had constant back, hip and left leg pain. It remains very hard to walk, sit, or do much of anything besides stretch out on the apartment living room floor and watch television. My world remains shrunk down to my apartment and I very rarely venture only at great difficulty and with assistance.

Not that I was ever prolific but my writing has dwindled down to almost nothing. Yet, some folks persist in telling me how lucky I have it because, since I am still not working despite the start of a new school year, I have all this time to write.

Just for the record, pain does not help the writing process. Pain pills certainly don't help the writing process. Physical therapy of the kind I am doing certainly doesn't help the writing process. None of this helps the writing process one bit.

So, I am having a real hard time finding the luck in the my ongoing nightmare.

10 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

No, I don't see a lot of luck, or any luck, involved in your situation either, Kevin.

Pain as a constant companion offers no comfort. All I can say is to hang in there and I hope things improve. You're in my prayers.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And in mine, Kevin.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Terry. Hope you know how much I appreciate it.

I just don't understand the mindset that thinks I am lucky these days. I don't know if it is a lack of empathy or that they don't understand how upside things are here now or what. This certainly is NOT the kind of luck I want.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Patti. I know and I appreciate it very much.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Kevin, don't forget people are praying for you. I know---hasn't solved the problem so far, but don't give up hope! You're a great guy, loved by a lot of people.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I know, Caroline and I am trying to keep hope going. Great guy? Well, maybe. Weird guy....definitely.

~kate said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your constant pain, Kevin. I crashed and burned on my bicycle this summer and really messed up my knee. The pain was excruciating for several months. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I'm thankful to be nearly all mended now with just the occasional twinge from over exertion, but I'll never again take for granted the mobility afforded me by good health. Good luck and Godspeed.
~kate

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Kate. I see yet another doctor on Tuesday in hopes that something can be done to start mending.

mybillcrider said...

This had gotta end. I wish there were something to be done. Keep on truckin'.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thanks, Bill. Hope you are right that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.