Saturday, February 08, 2014

Readers....And My Dad

I come from a family of readers. Both of my parents were avid readers and loved mysteries. It was from them I got my love of books and reading. That love of reading was always one of the major ways I dealt with stress and pain. That love of reading has especially helped these last four years while I have been ill and Sandi has been ill with a succession of things from heart attacks and strokes to the ongoing fight against cancer. Being able to escape into the fictional world as the real world has closed in on us has been about the only way I could hold it together.

Today marks two years since my father suddenly passed away. He often told me in the months before he died that I should be working on my own stuff and that he hoped he would live long enough to see my novel in print and on the shelves at the local library and bookstores. That didn't happen. Life and illness got in the way in a major league fashion.

Somewhere.....I think he understands......

2 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

My father passed away before my first novel was published too. He didn't read novels. He read the Toledo Blade (newspaper) every day, however.

Hold onto those memories, Kevin, and also I hear you about reading taking one out of the here and now, with a little relief from life's struggles.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thanks, Terry.