Saturday, January 28, 2023

Scott's Take: Hellboy: The Bones of Giants by Mike Mignola


Hellboy: The Bones of Giants by Mike Mignola adapts the book of the same name into comic form. I have never read the original book so I have no idea how good of a job they did on the adapting part.

In this graphic novel, a man is found dead in Sweden. The deceased is holding a large old war hammer. It appears that Thor is the dead man. Hellboy picks up the hammer and that causes the power of Thor to be transferred to him. That could be a positive. But, a major negative is the fact that the hammer is now stuck to his hand. He literally cannot let go.

Not only does Hellboy need to figure out how to let go, he also needs to figure out who killed Thor, and why. Hellboy is now stuck trying to figure out who and why Thor is dead. Hellboy meets Norse Mythology in this action-packed volume.

The main characters are Hellboy and Abe as they do their buddy team up investigate weird stuff thing. The art is typical Hellboy ---you either like it or you don’t.

I highly enjoyed this volume. This is a unique tale since Norse Mythology and Hellboy do not crossover much. I am a big fan of both so I might be biased. I recommend this volume for fans of both.

 

 

My reading copy came by way of the Hoopla App and the Dallas Public Library System.

 

Scott A. Tipple ©2023

No comments: