Sunday, May 05, 2024

A Request from Otto Penzler of The Mysterious Bookshop

 I received the below Friday and thought I would share here. If you have any questions, please reach out to him at  ottopenzler AT mysteriousbookshop.com


Hi Kevin,

            For the past 28 years, I’ve been the series editor of what is certainly the most prestigious mystery anthology of the year, for the first 23 years with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, for the past four with the Mysterious Press. Because your site is devoted to mystery short stories, I have to think you’re aware of these books.

            Michele Slung has been the first reader for every edition and, strangely, neither she nor I knew about your important site until a few days ago but are delighted that we have found you.

            I don’t know if you do this sort of thing but I’d like to ask if you could announce to your members that we would welcome submissions, whether from magazines, collections, or anthologies. We are aware of the major magazines in the field and receive their comp copies with regularity, and receive books published by the major publishers, but we try hard not to ignore smaller publishers or e-zines.

            Would you consider recommending to your readers and publishers that they should submit work to me? Only hard copies, please. My mailing address is Otto Penzler, The Mysterious Bookshop, 58 Warren Street, New York, N.Y. 10007.

            FYI, I pay a reprint fee of $500 for every story (20 a year).

            Thank you. Of course, please let me know if you have any questions.

            Sincere best wishes, Otto

No comments: