Saturday, July 25, 2026

Scott's Take: A Parade of Horribles (Dungeon Crawler Carl series) by Matt Dinniman


A Parade of Horribles by Matt Dinniman is the eighth book in the Dungeon Crawler Carl series. I read this as an eBook so I did not have access to the short story. At the time of writing this review at the end of May, the hardback version is still on order at the Dallas Public Library System. I have a hold on one, whenever they get them in, so that I can read the short story.

 

In this action-packed installment, Princess Donut, Carl, and the remaining Crawlers, compete in various races and must try to survive and win them. Then, once the races are done, the evil AI is planning to have “A Parade of Horribles.” The AI is calling it a coming out party for himself.

 

This one is heavy on the lore building at the end. There is a lot of violence, but it is a lot less than one would expect in this series.  I also found the races to be very different than what I was expecting. I was kind of disappointed in that aspect of the read.

 

Carl and Donut get some more quality character development but some of the gimmick jokes drag on longer than I think they should have. Also, a lot of the plot points that have been running in the background for more than one book are still not followed up on  here. I kind of wish we would get a novel focusing on the kinder facility or the human resistance on Earth against the aliens.  Instead of a few sentences here and there. I feel like a lot happened in this book,  but mostly towards the end.

 

I enjoyed this read, but maybe I was overhyped for it. I thought this one was one of the weaker books. In the next book,  The Ascendery Games begin as the Crawlers will attempt to escape various floors while trying to stop one of the gods from becoming the King of The Gods.  There should be quite a lot going on as the large cast of the series has been scattered to so many other places by this point. It is going to require some very good scene switching to make it all work.

 

Amazon Associate Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/4dCSpDE

 

 

My reading copy came through the Libby App by way of the Dallas Public Library system. I have a hold on the hardback through the system. Sometimes the short stories are important, sometimes not, but either way I want to read it.

 

 

Scott A. Tipple ©2026

No comments: