Friday, July 24, 2026

Review: Dirty Little Town: A River City Novel by Frank Zafiro


When I recently read and reviewed Frank Zafiro’s cozy mystery novellas (Hallmarks of the Job, Shades of the Job), I was reminded that I was way behind in my reading of his police procedural River City series. I knew I was behind. I had no idea how far behind I was. Dirty Little Town: A River City Novel is the seventh book in the series and was released back in November 2021.

 

The read opens in August 2003 and a bit after the events in Place of Wrath and Tears. Officer Katie Macleod has been through some things. In the here and now, she’s getting a provisional promotion to detective and being assigned to assist Detective Browning on his hunt for a serial killer. No pay bump due to contract issues, and it leaves patrol shorthanded due to ongoing staffing issues due to budget and contract issues, but it could give the department some positive PR at a time when that is very much needed. It also gives her a chance to shine. She’s been an officer for twelve years. But being a detective is like starting all over again.

 

As is the department as a whole because the mayor has installed a new chief of police. Chief of Police Richard Sannael has arrived and Captain Robert Saylor is way less than impressed. It does not help that Saylor had been the acting Police Chief after being appointed to the position by the previous mayor.

 

The recent election went way different than planned or expected, and the new mayor has been a micromanager and problematic. This new chief selected by the mayor seems to be focused on casting blame and making changes that will make things worse and sacrifice loyal officers to do it. He is a political animal and maybe something worse.

 

These are just two of a number of storylines at work in Dirty Little Town: A River City Novel. I have long said that if you loved the work of Ed McBain, the tv shows Hill Street Blues, Southland, Line of Duty, Blue Lights, and other authors and shows, you will love this series. These books detail police work and the men and women who do the job. It showcases them off shift just as much and how their jobs affect their personal lives.

 

This series has evolving and ageing characters, like any really good series, and that always results in good reading. Such is the case here. As always with any good series, start at the beginning and work your way forward. In this case begin with Under a Raging Moon.

 


 

Amazon Associate Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/4b80yye

 

 

According to Amazon, I picked this up back in November 2021. I suspect it was by funds in my Amazon Associate account, but I do not know that for sure.

 

 

Kevin R. Tipple ©2026

No comments: