Sunday, June 12, 2011

Online Book Sales

Thanks to Suspense Your Disbelief run by Jenny Milchman comes word that Lorie Ham of Kings River Life is running a book sale. I love book sales and used to haunt them. We did not have book sales at school when I was a kid so I never knew what I was missing. It was not until I was an adult and being dragged to garage sales by my wife Sandi that I realized that often one could find a book treasure amidst the old clothes, broken toys, etc. of a garage sale. I caught the fever. 


These days thanks to the wonderful world of the internet that keeps homebound folks like me plugged into a life beyond the four walls, one can do almost anything online. Including checking out the book sales. Nothing beats finding a good book at a book sale.


Surf over to Jenny Milchman’s neat site titled Suspense Your Disbelief and take a look at what is listed. Lots of good titles there for sale via Lorie Ham of Kings River Life. Take a look at her site too as there are lots of interesting articles, fiction, etc. on there of interest to folks in that particular region of California as well as the rest of the country.


And while you are at it, you might want to take another look at Barry Ergang’s ongoing book sales. In addition to his own works of fiction that he put up at Smashwords, he has his own library of books selling at http://barryergangbooksforsale.yolasite.com/  in a variety of categories including mysteries. For mysteries only, Barry set up  http://jdcarr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6771  His stock changes frequently thanks to sales as well as adding more titles from his treasure trove of books. Usually, what Barry reviews for his posts for the Friday Forgotten Books segments come from his books for sale.


Now, as frequent readers of this space know as well as what Barry has posted on the various lists, he is helping me by donating funds to help my family out. As Barry has put it:


Make a purchase and I'll contribute 20% of the total price of the books to Kevin and his family. Just indicate in your e-mail order that you're doing this for Kevin. If you want me to acknowledge you to him, say so. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, I can simply let him know that an anonymous buyer contributed whatever the amount is. This way, you help one of our friends and colleagues, and come away with something tangible to show for it.”


I very much appreciate Barry’s offer and am very grateful for his help as well as the support of those who have bought books from Barry and donated funds.  Barry is not the only one to make such an offer.


Ben Leroy owner of Tyrus Books has offered a special incentive. In his words:

“We've got limited editions that I'd donate to the cause. If people put $200 in your account, I'll send them a copy of Delta Blues or By Hook or By Crook ($275/$250 suggested retail). The descriptions are on our website.”

I have read and reviewed Delta Blues here and it is a good one. Have not read “By Hook Or By Cook” (and no it is not in my TBR pile--I did look) but it sounds like a good anthology.


So, if you are looking for some good books and want to help out some folks, you have several different choices. The money is all going to good people who really appreciate it.


Kevin

2 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

You can never go wrong ending your post with a picture of turtles.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

lol! I had hoped to have some new pics, but because of the winds we have had here some days recently and the number of kids and fishermen on the banks of the creek the turtles have been hiding.