Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Tuesday, Sandi and her Significant Stroke

Sandi is still in the hospital and won't be coming home anytime soon.

The MRI was finally done late yesterday afternoon once they had her stabilized enough where she was not throwing up as they had real issues with it and could not run the risk of her throwing up while in the tube. The news is not good. According to the nurse who told me stuff because Sandi was getting increasingly agitated and demanding to see the doctor, Sandi has had a significant stroke. How much damage and whether or not is is permanent is unknown right now as they are pushing drugs into her to alleviate the brain swelling and hopefully prevent an additional stroke(s). She has had a major personality shift and is cussing out folks, including me, has no idea what day it is, can't read the analog clock on the wall, can't work the remote, has no idea if it is daytime or night despite the fact the blazing sun is hitting her windows a bit, believes she has been in there for months, that I never once have come to see her, and that she has brain tumor that no one will tell her about.

I can't tell you how bad off she is mentally right now. The only good thing is that she has apparently regained use of her right hand having decked me and a nurse today and can now see out of her right eye again. She also thought, at one point, that purple spiders were on the walls this afternoon and that some sort of creature was in the hall.  At another point she was screaming that we all were trying to kill her.

It is ugly and whether this is the drugs talking or the brain injury we may not know for several days to come. The social worker is trying to work on why we were denied medicaid and will be looking into where my appeal stands for disability. If this is permanent, she may have to go to a rehab facility of some type until work fires her and the insurance runs out.

At this point they have her on additional blood pressure drugs trying to hold her BP down, anti seizure drugs, some anti clotting drug, insulin shots, and half a done other things. She was more awake today but much more agitated as well. She seems to have stopped throwing up as she made it through lunch without doing it and that is the first time since 11am Sunday. They also are running some sort of magnesium potassium drip into her because she was so low on those and the drip is supposed to help.

So, things do not look good at all and I have no idea where we go from here. I'm home for the evening, eaten alive by guilt as I physically can't do what needs to be done. I want to thank everyone their support, prayers, positive thoughts, etc. It means a lot and is definitely appreciated.



Unknown said...

This is more than people should be called on to take, Kevin. I don't know what else to say.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Kevin, my heart is with you. I am so sorry and I echo Bill's thoughts.


Lesa said...


My husband accused me of trying to kill him when he was so agitated due to the drugs and his cancer. I know how much it hurts. I'm so sorry, and I'm keeping you and your wife in my prayers.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you both. I just wish it wasn't like this.

I just spoke to the nurse (about 9:10) who says she is sleeping this evening. They believe they have got her medication adjusted a bit so that she is less agitated now and will hopefully stay that way. They would like her to sleep through the night if at all possible.

She still does not know what day it is nor can she read the clock, etc. On that score there is no improvement though they hope that by being calmer and sleeping that there might be a small change for the better in the morning.

One hopes.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Lesa. She was screaming that everyone was out to get her--not just me. I know she is not in her right mind. I just don't know why.

And no matter why, it hurts so much.

michael said...

Kevin, your problems have long ago past the point where any words can express what we all are feeling for you and your family.

Listen to the doctors, nurses and social workers, they have been through this before. Don't do too much and end up in a hospital room yourself.

Save your strength for when the real Sandi is back and needs you most.

Shalanna said...

I am saddened but not completely surprised to hear this awful news. You have both been under such stress that something was inevitable. Your wife's behavior is almost certainly because of the brain swelling or trauma and should subside as soon as the meds are fixed. I don't know what to tell you about the larger issue. Do you have ANY family to move in with or fall back on? I know you do have a son, but he isn't going to be able to be head of household with no help. This is what social services is supposed to be for, dang it all. I will continue to pray for you all.

Donna White Glaser said...

I'm praying for you and Sandi. There aren't words to say how sorry we all are that you two are going through such hell.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me either. And I know that sort of agitation from my parents' experiences a few years back. My mother got under the hospital bed, for instance.
I am just sick with worry about you two. You need an advocate to steer you through this.

Pat R. said...

I'm so sorry and thinking of you and your family. I agree that a very important thing to do right now is try to take care of yourself. Sandi's is where she needs to be at this time.

Jaden Terrell said...

Oh, Kevin, it's just one thing after another, isn't it? I'm sso sorry to hear this. We went through something similar with my grandmoter, and even though you know it's the brain imbalance talking, it still hurts.

You have my email address, I think. I'll do all I can to help. Hugs.

Jackie King said...

Kevin, I'm so terribly sorry, and I am sending prayers.