Sunday, March 17, 2013

Interesting Reading Elsewhere-- Patrick Wensick at Salon.com

In his piece titled "My Amazon Bestseller Made Me Nothing" Patrick Wensick discusses the real world of novel publishing and what a bestseller at Amazon earns. I'd argue that 12k is far better than nothing, but what do I know? It isn't like my novel is finished and published and selling so I can complain about how little I earned.

The article is worth reading and can be found here. Just expect lots of annoying popups as one normally finds on the site.

2 comments:

mb said...

Interesting piece because so little is said about What Authors Earn. Either it's trade secret or behind the veil of privacy people maintain about their money. How many ebooks per week or month might one of our DL members be selling? What about my friend who publishes both poetry and books about Buddhist practice, with mainstream publishers.... it's a question one can't ask...

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I wonder about what is not said and what is said. Some of the people bragging about huge numbers make me wonder if they are telling the truth. Then there are the few who have told me what their own sales were and the news was not good at all. These are folks with several books out, more extensive fiction reputations than I have, and folks who do quality work. Far, far, far less than this guy who complains about getting 12k.

Certainly does not seem like nothing or chump change to me.