Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Review: "Flash, Flash Bang, Bang: 7 Flash Crime Stories" by R.J. Spears

These 7 Flash Crime Stories that were previously published at Shotgun Honey, Out of the Gutter, and Flashes in The Dark, share a common theme of desperation. Desperation makes these characters do things that they might not have done otherwise. It could also just as easily be argued that desperation drove them to do what their natural natures would have compelled them to do anyway. Desperation might just have given these characters that slightest of slight nudges by a certain middle finger to tip the precarious balance.

“Belly or the Head” opens the collection with the question that many of us first heard some variation of on the playground years ago. So did the narrator who is hearing it now in terms of a gun held by the main enforcer of the Galvaso Family, Frankie the Bull.

Jerry is just looking for “A Way Out” of a bad situation. A man has to do what he has to do for the family.

“What You Don't Know” can change everything. Supposedly this guy named Block had been a Marine at one time, but Frank is not impressed. He doesn't care either as he is there to collect the debt owed to Mr. Galvin.

Many of us have been taught in church over the years to hate the sin, not the sinner. Clearly, “Hate the Sinner” takes a different spin on that concept with fairly predictable results.

Willard hasn't made it to bed yet. The 76 year old man might be sleeping in the front of the TV in the family room, but the Remington .310 makes the point it is “The Waiting Game.”

Terry and Chuck have a major bust on their hands. Drugs, money, and the three idiots they caught. It could be their ticket off street patrol and into detective grade work in “Or What.”

Some hunters kill for the meat to fill their freezers and take care of their families. Others kill because the want to bag “Trophies.”

Despite the frequent typos throughout Flash, Flash Bang, Bang, these seven flash stories provide rapid bursts of entertainment. The desperation is all too real to the reader as are the characters themselves. Not light reading in terms of the subject matter contained inside, these stories will tend to stick with you after this quick read is finished.


Flash, Flash Bang, Bang: 7 Flash Crime Stories
R.J. Spears
Self-Published
April 2013
ASIN: B00CB8H3V8
E-Book (estimated print length 18 Pages)
$0.99

Material was picked up during the author’s recent free book promotion.

Kevin R. Tipple ©2013

4 comments:

Random said...

Kevin:

Hey, I got to read further along in your blog and found the review for my flash crime collection, Flash Flash, Bang, Bang.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read it and for posting the review. It means so much to me that you read it.

Thanks,
R.J. Spears

Kevin R. Tipple said...

The review is now up on Amazon, Blogger News Network, LibraryThing, Goodreads, Crimespace, and Lunch.com as well as most of the lists I am on. Sorry for the delay as I thought I had done this and have lots going on here.

Random said...

Kevin:

No need to apologize. In fact, you're golden in my book.

BTW, sorry about the typos. I hate when I let stuff out like that. I went back and found out that most were formatting issues with the eformatting. I hate that, but not as much as I hate typos. I'm new to eFormatting, so sadly, I'm still learning.

I have gone back in and fixed all the formatting errors now. If you hadn't said anything, I would have never know.

Again, many thanks for the reviews.

--
R.J. Spears

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I thought several of them were formatting errors but wasn't sure. I don't know how to do that stuff. Barry Ergang fought that beast for me.

With that cleaned up, it makes the book even better. Good stuff.