Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sandi Update

After falling twice yesterday evening and twice this morning it seemed the really smart thing to do was stay home today and out of trouble. Experience has taught me that when I am in as much pain as I have been the last two days I tend to fall more.  Hopefully I will be a little better in the morning and can eventually go back down to Medical City tomorrow to see Sandi.

They got the CT results back and while there is fluid in both lungs, there are no clots. This means she has not created a clot or had a clot get into a lung and then start accumulating fluid around it. Sandi says they decided not to take a chance on causing a new problem and have decided against trying to insert a needle into her lung by way of her ribcage so that they could get a fluid sample. They believe the two intravenous antibiotics are doing what needs to be done. Instead of taking the risk to classify whatever it is she is sick with, they are going to list it as an "unspecified respiratory illness." Most likely it is pneumonia, but without an actual sample they can't call it that.

The current plan is to try and wean her off the oxygen and see how she does. If she can breathe on her own they intended to send her back home as soon as they can. This rather concerns me as they have not checked her again off of oxygen and are getting 92 on the sensor when she is sitting up with the tubes in her nose. My understanding is she should be closer to 98 or 99 in those conditions. I would like them to see what happens, for example, when she goes off the oxygen to use the bathroom and see if she is still  in the 60s afterwards like yesterday.

So, overall, I am a little bit encouraged. No clots and they are now confident this does not signal a return of her cancer. Of course, they really don't know what it is in there or how we can avoid this happening again. Hopefully, the antibiotics are working and whatever it is is being destroyed.

This is where we are tonight and more to come as I know it...

4 comments:

Maureen Harrington said...

Oh Kevin... I hope things go better. xo

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Me too. Enough already.

YA Sleuth said...

As always, keeping you and Sandi in my thoughts...

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, F.T. We know and we appreciate it greatly.