Sunday, November 10, 2019

Thoughts of Bouchercon 2019


I don’t know that the world needs another recap of Bouchercon 2019. But, I had a blast and do have some pictures to share thanks to Scott. This was my only Boucheron so it was a once in a lifetime experience. It was also something I never would have done if not for the fact that, for some insane reason, Carol Puckett arranged things so I was comped for everything outside of meals and drinks.

Why she did it I have no idea. I also have no idea why so many folks came up to me and thanked me for what I do. Not just on behalf of the SMFS, but what I do here with this blog and in general regarding mysteries, books, and such. Quite honestly, I don’t see it as I feel that no one would notice if I quietly folded the blog bay doors and called it a day.  To have so many tell me that I make an impact was stunning and overwhelming.

Which was my feeling most of the five days. To meet Reed Farrel Coleman, Joe Landsdale, Lawrence Block, and many others who actually knew who the heck I was, was just incredible. Most of the time I was able to avoid mental vapor lock and actually string a few words together in a sentence or two that made sense. To finally meet Lesa Holstine and Angela Crider Neary in person was an incredible treat. To present the Derringer Awards on behalf of the SMFS, which is as close as I will ever get to that award, was a nerve wracking and incredible experience.

In short, it was all awesome.

Below are a few pictures of me and others at Bouchercon.

Lesa Holstine 

Legendary Dallas QB Roger Staubach 

Hanging out with Johnny Wesner



11 comments:

Lisa Lieberman said...

Kevin, it was great meeting you and now you know how much we appreciate you.

Now get back to work!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

So glad you got to go. I can no longer manage these big conventions, but I have great memories. It is so much fun to meet like-minded people at these things. And you found out that you are a celebrity in the mystery community!

Krauss said...

Thanks for this recap, and for all you do Kevin!

Caroline Clemmons said...

I'm so glad you were able to attend, Kevin. Nice that you now realize you are special to a lot of people.

Andrew Welsh-Huggins said...

A real honor and pleasure meeting you. SMFS has meant so much to me as a writer.

Angela Crider Neary said...

So glad you were able to attend and we got to meet in person!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Glad to have had the opportunity to meet Angela, Andrew, Lisa, and many, many other folks. It was a blast.

Gerald So said...

Glad you got to feel the love, Kevin. It's why Bouchercon is worth it to me.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

It was incredible. Still think folks are dead wrong about me and my role in things, but am very grateful so many think I do something that matters. Especially nearly two years in when I am still drowning in a sea of grief and having to really work hard to find a reason to be here.

Earl Staggs said...


I'm glad you were able to go, Kevin. I wish I could have been there with you to help. I know with Scott along, you really didn't need anyone else. At least I could have combed your hair out of your eyes. (Ducking and running now.)

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Wish you had made it, Earl.