Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Medical Updates

Yesterday was a bit much for me as both Scott and I had doctor visits. With that doctor office deal, a trip to one store for groceries and a trip to another for a new medication for me, and a couple of more errands, the day was way too much for me. So, I have not been online and have not updated this blog.

First and foremost, Sandi feels great. Considering how dangerous the procedure on Monday was and what we expected IF things went right, neither one of us expected her to do so well. We weren't the only ones as the doctors and staff there are absolutely amazed. She remains on some cardiac telemetry, but all the IVs remain pulled. Her appetite remains up and all the blood work so far looks amazingly good. One gets the feeling nobody can explain what happened or why, but everyone is just keeping fingers crossed that it keeps up.

Sandi's biggest complaint is that she is seriously bored. She feels significantly better than she did last week, or in recent memory, and is now feeling very trapped in the hospital. Sandi feels exceptionally fine and wants out and to get back home. She has told me over and over she feels like she did way back before the cancers and feels like she is completely well. It seems too much to hope for, but, we are hoping this continues.

As much as I have been mad at Wal-Mart for overriding the doctors here, the transplant center, their own insurance company, the doctors at Mayo, and numerous other medical folks who all insisted that Sandi needed to stay here for the transplant, this may have, in fact, been the best thing for her. So far things have worked out wonderfully once she was in the BMT Unit and the results to this point are amazing. I have not heard her sound this good in years.

In other medical news......

The results came back and everything is fine with Scott. We didn't expect anything otherwise, but this is still good news. He has finished the semester at UTD and is awaiting his grades. He is taking the summer off to recharge as the stress of everything here and school has clearly been way too much. The kid needs a break and is taking one while he can.

As to me--for the most part things are what they normally are. A couple of issues did turn up in the blood work which could indicate MS or some other neurological disorder. I'm being referred to a new neurologist for further evaluation and testing to look at what has happened to me and how I am gradually getting worse. At this point it is too early to say definitively that I have MS, but there are indications that it is a definite possibility.

I've never really believed the diagnosis of sciatica I was given three years ago this month. Not just because the two back injections I got failed to do anything (the second one made me worse), but the fact that I have issues with my arms and hands from time to time that do not fit the sciatica profile. Considering my injections came from the same company that has been in the news with all the issues, I do feel very fortunate to not have contracted another problem thanks to the injections.

Hopefully in a few weeks I will have some definitive answers and maybe even a treatment plan to alleviate some of my constant pain and symptoms. If it is some sort of neurological disorder I know that in all likelihood whatever it is can't be cured. More than anything, I would be very happy to be in less pain.  I can deal with the falling, tremors, weakness, etc, but the constant pain is what really gets to me.

2 comments:

mybillcrider said...

That's really great news about Sandi. I hope you can get some relief from the pain.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thanks, Bill.