Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Medical Update

Sandi was supposed to see the radiologist tomorrow for a followup appointment and to have the spinal tumor imaged to see if it had shrunk as we all hope. After some back and forth between everyone involved the appointment has been canceled at their direction.

Instead, the new plan is for her to see her regular oncologist on the 15th for the normal bloodwork and followup. At that point, depending on her blood work, they most likely will restart chemo immediately as well as schedule the PET Scan to do the full body imaging and look at her cancers.


5 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Maybe she'll get lucky like I did and the chemo will be postponed. Fingers crossed.

Anne Louise Bannon said...

Prayers and good thoughts being sent your way. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do.

jrlindermuth said...

My thoughts are with you and Sandi. Hoping for the best. Got to stay positive.

Graham Powell said...

How has she been feeling? I know you said after radiation she felt different, and better, than after previous attempts to shrink the tumors. How is she feeling now?

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you everyone. Been having huge issues with the internet so that created the late reply.

She seems to be doing okay. Everything gastro involved has settled down now. She still has a large dark brown area at the base of her back. It basically looks like she sat down in a mud puddle. But, that area seems to be slowly shrinking in size and fading in terms of color.

Her strength seems to have come back a little and her stamina in terms of being able to walk around here this week as been a bit better. Her daily fatigue seems to have lessened somewhat though that is a tricky thing and hard to gauge. This was about the point they thought the effects of the radiation would have passed for the most part. They hoped she might have less body aches and pain by now as she hurts from head to toes. That did not happen. She still hurts everywhere as much as she always does ever since the stem cell transplant failed a couple of years ago.

We had already been warned at the last visit with the main cancer doc to come prepared the next time to start chemo. That was one of two options they were considering. Based on what we were told when the radiology folks canceled the follow up, the decision has been made to restart chemo. The only way that it does not happen is if when she comes in for blood work they discover her immune system has crashed again. If it goes flat line at zero again they would start emergency IVIG infusion rounds and a couple of other things.

So, while I am a bit nervous as to how she is doing as it seems a little too good and that usually signals the you know what is about to hit the fan, she thinks she is doing okay and those in charge of everything medically seem blown away by how she is doing.