Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Guest Post: Orphaned by Debra H. Goldstein

When a publisher shuts down there are huge repercussions for all involved. Please welcome author Debra H. Goldstein who has firsthand experience with being orphaned by the loss of a publisher….

Orphaned by Debra H. Goldstein

My husband was in his sixties when he became an orphan. I will always remember this six-foot-four two hundred plus pound person lying awake in bed, staring at the ceiling, plaintively saying, “I’m an orphan.” Some friends and relatives told him losing his ninety-year-old Alzheimer stricken mother was a blessing while others said it was the natural course of things. I knew it was neither – it was a permanent and final loss. For writers, becoming an orphan is an experience that is faced repeatedly.

For every contract renewed, there are many authors who have two to three more ideas, but don’t get the opportunity to continue their series or characters. An equally common experience of late has been the number of publishers ceasing operations and leaving their authors with orphaned books. It hurts.

Although a few traditional publishing sources will adopt a series that already exists – often by focusing on a different character as the protagonist or moving the story forward a few years, most won’t. Agents and Editors smile, console, and then tend to recommend that rather than wasting energy, the author should write something new or consider self-publishing. No alternative feels good.

I know. I’ve had two books accepted and published and both have become orphans. The first, Maze in Blue, was published in 2011. It won an IPPY Award in 2012, and two weeks later, the published announced it was closing its doors. I was lucky. The publisher freely gave back rights, files, and artwork. Because of the good relationship with the publisher, which many who try to get back their work don’t have, I was able to fulfill my speaking and signing engagements by publishing a new edition via CreateSpace. Maze in Blue’s lifespan continued fairly solidly and then got another boost when Harlequin Worldwide Mystery bought its mass market rights and made it a book of the month in May 2014.

Even though I loved the characters, I accepted that Maze in Blue, for now, was orphaned and wrote a new book, Should Have PlayedPoker: a Carrie Martin and the Mah Jongg Players Mystery. It was purchased by Five Star, a division of Cengage, in 2014 and is scheduled to be published on April 20, 2016. This time, with a little more knowledge under my belt, I made arrangements and reached out in advance for PR opportunities. Everything seemed to be going along perfectly --- edits, final copy, and a great cover. The people I worked with were wonderful, but then Cengage informed its mystery stable that it would be discontinuing its mystery line in 2017. The 2016 catalog, which includes my book, is being fully honored as are the first few months of 2017, but the upshot is that I’ve been orphaned again. Just like last time, I’d like to continue writing these characters, but I’m moving forward. I’ve written a third book with a third set of characters.

I could have sat and moaned about being snakebit, but writing takes time and life goes on. Waiting and hoping for a second chance for either book wouldn’t bring them back. Instead, my best hope for moving forward from being an orphan is to continue writing short stories and novels.  So, I’ve shed a tear and will gladly share my current books with the world, but my eye is on a future prize – the publication of a book that actually has a published sequel.

This is the only way I’ve been able to handle being orphaned. How about you?



Debra H. Goldstein ©2016

Judge (ret.) Debra H. Goldstein is the author of Should Have Played Poker: a Carrie Martin and the Mah Jongg Players Mystery (Five Star Publishing - April 2016) and the 2012 IPPY Award winning Maze in Blue, a mystery set on the University of Michigan’s campus. She also writes short stories and non-fiction. Debra serves on the national Sisters in Crime, Guppy Chapter and Alabama Writers Conclave boards and is a MWA member. She lives in Birmingham, Alabama with her husband, Joel, whose blood runs crimson.

21 comments:

Susan Oleksiw said...

Debra, I too am adjusting to the end of the Five Star mystery line. My next Anita Ray will be published in August 2016, and I've already started another series. It's too bad. I liked Five Star--the editors, designers, and on up the hierarchy. I've had a good run with them and I'm sorry to see them end. But as you say, time for something new.

Good luck with your new book.

LC Rooney said...

Forgive my ignorance (I am just preparing to query for my first novel), but why are publishers reluctant to publish sequels to books published by now-defunct competitors, assuming all rights have reverted to the author?

Judy Penz Sheluk, author said...

Debra, you are the ultimate survivor! I know only good things will be coming your way and can't wait to read the new book!

Allan J. Emerson said...

I'm another first book author orphaned by the Five Star mystery line. Like LC Rooney, I wonder why publishers are unwilling to take on an existing series--the first book has created some kind of audience; isn't that better than the situation that exists when a new book comes out and no one has heard of the writer? I understand the reluctance if the series was discontinued because of lack of demand, but when a publisher has dropped an entire genre, you'd think there'd be opportunities available for a savvy publisher.

All the best with your new book, Debra.

Kaye George said...

That's tough, losing your first 2 novel publishers! I used to be able to shut down short story magazines who accepted my offerings. One only lasted one more issue after I was in the first one. Another one published quite a few of my stories before it disappeared. I think probably 4 or 5 of them have gone away--but that's not uncommon for magazines. Less common for book publishers, and you hit two of them! I'd rather you don't do it again! I have faith in you!!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I have killed a half dozen short story markets.

Linda Rodriguez said...

Debra, you know my heart is with you. The sad thing to me is that your books are so good, and those wonderful characters are now doomed to wander in the limbo. Still, I'm just glad you haven't given up yet. You are an excellent writer and I know you will find the success you deserve. xoxo

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Susan, I'm sorry to see your series go. I know it has been well-received. Allan, we can commiserate on being one book Five Star wonders.
LC and Allan, my understanding is that there are many issues involved: a)whether the book had sales and if it wasn't a blockbuster, there is nervousness about taking on another one in the series; b) who owns the rights to the characters; c) who owns what rights - for example, although my first publisher gave me back all my rights to Maze in Blue, I presently only own the trade, hardcover, e-book, and audio rights .. Harlequin owns the mass market rights; and,d)there is a question of whether an agent's time will result in monetary reward or not because the book already was out there.
Kaye and Linda, thank you for your kinds words. From your ears to .........
Kevin, you scare me. I seem to remember a short story by the Brothers Grimm about a tailor.......
Even though I'm somewhat frightened, Kevin, thank you for having me as a Kevin's Corner guest today. Debra

Cynthia Sample said...

Hi Debra. My publisher closed in 2013 due to the death of one of the owners. It was a very sad situation both personally and professionally. But the other owner gave us our rights back and I decided to indie publish my books. I already had a launch party planned so I had no choice! Indie publishing has been the best experience for me. I have total control over everything and I've sold well over 100,000 books. It's more work but definitely rewarding. I wish you the best. Just remember there are many wonderful options out there for you.

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Cindy, That is another alternative. I just haven't gotten that far yet. Thanks for pointing it out......and perhaps being an informational resource in the future. Debra

Warren Bull said...

The publisher who committed to get my new short story collection out this year is taking a hiatus due to a health problem. Another publisher I worked with went out of business. I feel your pain.

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Warren, so sorry to hear that as you and all of us were so excited about your upcoming short story collection. It is a lousy feeling but all you can do is keep plugging. Debra

Earl Staggs said...


Debra, I know exactly how being orphaned feels. My first book came out from a publisher who shut down within six months. Fortunately, I found another -- and a better -- publisher who picked it up. Things like this are only tests-- like rejection letters -- to see how badly we want to be writers.

Maggie Toussaint said...

It feels unsettling to be standing on the deck of a sinking ship. Maybe its like a divorce. It can appear amicable on the face of it, but the emotions of being cut run deep. Even knowing its a business decision doesn't help.

The third book in my dreamwalker series will be out in October. I've got 2 more of these written and had plans for more. So I decided to query other publishers to see if they would take an ongoing series. No takers as of yet, but I'm ever hopeful. And if it doesn't pan out, I can pub through my indie line I created for my backlist. That's a lot of work though. I hope I can partner with the right house to keep my series going.

I hope you shop your series around as well.

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Earl, thank you for the encouragement. It's funny, I think most of us have treated it like grief -- there's been shock, anger, sadness, and for the most part, as Maggie writes, commitment to move forward. That commitment, as you note, does show us how badly we want to be writers. A lot is in the query or draft stage .... but my fingers are crossed for all of the talented writers facing this situation at the various houses. Debra

kk said...

I didn't realize you were caught in the Five Starr mess, Debra. I am so sorry. (I can't keep track of all my writer friends' various publishing houses, mea culpa.) I am glad you wrote about this. I think it helps to vent and get feedback from others in your boat, or nearly so.

Publishing is a super-fraught business these days, we all know that, but when something crashes, it is horrid.

I know you will keep on, and perhaps we just have to realize that this is the New Normal. No long term contract--where "long term" means three books! Geesh, those good old days must have really been GOOD. Sigh.....

Write on! Regardless. Write on!

Teresa Inge said...

This is great information about contracts and how volatile the publishing world is today!

KM Rockwood said...

After five books in a series, Musa, my publisher went out of business.

I was fortunate that Wildside picked up the series. The sixth, Abductions and Lies, is due out (by Wildside) momentarily. I've been assured it will be available by the Malice Domestic conference, which is the weekend of April 29 to May 1.

One thing this did for me, though, was to make me rethink my writing. I have put a lot more emphasis on short stories, and I now have notes for several crime novels that are not in the series. As if I didn't already have more ideas and plans than time to write.

KM Rockwood
Jesse Damon Crime Novels

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Kay,
Yup....but I'm still going forward with my plans to promote Poker. No sense letting it die on the vine. And, I'm having a blast with it. Have to have a smile in this business....and I wanted it badly enough to leave a safe position, as you well know.

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Teresa,
Thanks. The best thing is that so many other writers have been so encouraging to all of us caught in this dilemma -- whether it is Five Star or one of the other houses that many of you have mentioned or had a series cancelled by - the friendships and encouragement truly help one get back to writing again (I won't compare it to getting back on the horse because I'm the type that would slide off the other side).

Debra H. Goldstein said...

KM,
I'm glad Wildside picked up your book. Having started reading your series, I really enjoy it. Also glad to see you'll be at Malice because I gather it means the knee is doing well.