Thursday, July 06, 2017

Sandi at Rehab--Day 7

Earlier today Scott and I went down to the hospital and spent some time with Sandi. While there the doctor and the social worker popped in for a very brief visit. The plan is to release her next Tuesday.

Beyond that we don't know yet.

She will either come home for a day or two or will go straight to chemo. Since the tumors on the scalp are back and growing with a vengeance and her sinus tumor is clearly growing making things worse again (and those are the tumors we know about and can gauge things off of), she would much prefer to go straight over to the South Tower of Building A and get the chemo started again. Whether the doctors and Medicare will allow that to happen remains to be seen. We have made it very clear to all involved we would like to get the chemo started again asap. In just the two weeks the scalp tumors that could barely be seen and almost appeared to be gone are now was bigger across as well as vertically than they ever were before the first round of the aborted chemo. Pink in color, they are now bigger than a quarter and stand out on the surface of her scalp like eyes on the back of her skull.

Time is clearly of the essence based on what we can see and her symptoms. She is at least two weeks late on the chemo, if not three, at this point, based on the previous treatment plan. With her, when things get delayed the cancers explode in growth and run wild like a spark in the wilderness that becomes a raging inferno. This also gives the cancers more time to mutate and this resist the current chemo. So, they really do need to get on with things as soon as they possible can.

She thinks she is ready now. Considering the fact that she is still on a liquid diet only and can not have hot tea or soda (which is making her crazy) as well as the fact that she is shaky on the walker, I don't think she is ready. I think she is better than when she started last Friday. Will she be ready by Tuesday? I don't know? Is she ready for chemo? I have no idea.

I do see what is happening and I realize the situation they have to consider. It is because I do see what is happening as well as knowing her history, I worry.

6 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Hoping for the best possible outcome.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Me too. Frustrated. I can't fix anything anywhere.

Jerry House said...

We worry too, Kevin. Positive thoughts and prayers.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you.

BPL Ref said...

I hope that any decision made will be based on Sandi's condition alone and not rules and regs-- had the hospital not screwed up, this wouldn't even have been an issue. Thoughts and prayers.

Jeanne

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Medicare rules and regs are driving everything. I do think from a morale point of view it might be a good thing for her to come home. Though from hitting the cancer I am not so sure. While nobody said it out loud to us yesterday, it was very clear we had absolutely no choice at all as their plan was the only way forward.