Thursday, May 18, 2017


For the last six weeks  or so, Sandi has had two spots on the top of her head that have looked a little off. They had looked at them and thought they were nothing. Until yesterday, when they had suddenly grown massively in size and height and had become very painful.

The cancer doctor took one look at them and said they were Lymphomas. Cancer. No question. Not only did he see those two, he saw what he believes to be a third  Lymphoma that has suddenly erupted in the back of her throat. This is on top of at least one he had diagnosed off of her CT scan. So, the count was four. Of the four, the one that would be the least complicated to get a sample from turned out to be the sinus one as the other ones would also involve the services of a plastic surgeon.

This morning, in the office of the ENT, he was able to get three samples from her sinus tumor. The doctor believes he got more than enough to determine which type of Lymphoma it is in there. He concurs with the current belief that the four tumors they know about are most likely all the same type of lymphoma.

This means the cancer is back and has returned with a vengeance. 

He also concurs with the belief of her cancer doctors that, in all likelihood, she has multiple recurrent Lymphoma sites scattered elsewhere in her body. He supported the idea that the PET Scan is needed ASAP as he seems to agree that most likely there is other organ involvement and other horrible possibilities.

The biopsy went as well as possible. Without being graphic, she is having some drainage and some pain, but not nearly as much ans we feared. Things have slowly gotten a little better as the day has gone on. He plans to see her as a followup next Wednesday afternoon.

The PET Scan has to be done through the hospital and we have yet to hear when that is scheduled. The plan had been to have it no later than next Wednesday. All we know tonight is that it will not be tomorrow.

At this point, we see the ENT Wednesday afternoon for a followup.
After that, we are supposed to see the  the cancer folks on Thursday morning for labwork and a doctor visit. While it was not officially schedules, we expect chemo to be started again at that time.  We have no idea what treatment schedule will be undertaken, but they clearly feel a strong sense of urgency to get things underway as her situation has deteriorated markedly in the past month in multiple areas.

Friday morning we both are supposed to see our respective cardiologists. That meant be rescheduled depending on what happens Thursday.

This is all we know at this point. We both are exhausted from the stress of the last two days. On behalf of Sandi, thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and best wishes expressed here and elsewhere.


Bill Crider said...

Really sorry to hear this news. I know how hard it must be for the both of you. I wish I had some great advice, but there's really not much to say other than that I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Ben Boulden said...

You and Sandi are in my thoughts, Kevin.

Rick Robinson said...

Really sorry to hear this, as one hopes - always hopes - the evil C will let up, leave us alone. Prayers in your behalf.

Jerry House said...

I am so sorry, but that doesn't stop all of your friends for hoping for the best possible outcome. Stay strong,

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you all. We very much appreciate it.

BPL Ref said...

What Bill and Jerry said. There are no words. I hope you can both get some rest before the next round of visits.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

As expected, she is sill having what they refer to as 'light bleeding." She has slept much of the day today and has been back in bed the past hour. Still no word on the PET SCAN which means it won't happen Monday either.

Reine said...

Thank you for following up with this and letting us know. Thinking of both of you. R