Thursday, May 25, 2017

Very Bad News

After a brief detour to see my brother who is currently here, as well as pick up Sandi's latest medications, we are now home. We got very bad news today.

Long story short--- the large B cell thing is pretty much everywhere in all sizes and shapes tumor wise and that includes multiple lymph nodes in her neck, chest and groin area. Doctors are trying to be positive and scrape me off the floor, but the situation is really bad. 

Only because it is a holiday weekend and all that entails with hospital staff and support, they are holding off admitting her for a new five day round of chemo until next Tuesday. Much of what they have used before chemo wise is ruled out now due to the fact that she has either built up a tolerance to it or if they used it again it would kill her.

If the first chemo deal does not work, they have a second option that has huge toxicity and other risks with it. They really don't want to try that as there are major issues with it.

So, not only is the news bad, it is far worse than anyone expected. They kept stressing they were not giving up and did not want her to give up either. She isn't. She took it amazingly well.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is that, as you know, I know the feeling. Judy never quit, and I'm sure Sandi won't, either. I firmly believe it was the final toxic chemo that killed Judy or played a part. I hope Sandi doesn't have to go that route. Hang in there. You have a lot of people thinking of you two.

Rick Ollerman said...

Hey, Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear about the bad news. I can only hope for a positive turnaround next week. Stay strong, brother.

Barry Ergang said...

Kevin, I've said it to both you and Sandi in phone conversations--and explained, as you both understood and acknowledged--I meant in using the term with great respect and affection that Sandi is one tough "broad." She's pulled off miracles before, so don't count her out now.

As you know, many many people are praying for her, myself among them.

Jerry House said...

Shit.

Maureen Harrington said...

Dear Kevin,

I am so very sad to read your latest report on Sandi's. It's a grueling process, but it offers some hope. However small that might be, I pray that she fights.

We are comrades in arms.

R

Judy Penz Sheluk, author said...

I'm so sorry for both of you. No words.

Elizabeth said...

Stay strong, Kevin & Sandi. Prayers & good thoughts for you both.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Keep up the fight. Many people have you in their prayers.

Kaye George said...

I'm keeping you and Sandi in my thoughts and my heart.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you all. Sandi is dealing with the latest far better than I am. The same thing she has done year after year.

We both have cardiology appointments this morning so hopefully nothing new will pop up there for eitehr one of us.

BVLawson said...

Thoughts and prayers, Kevin. Hoping for positive results from the next round of chemo.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Very sorry to hear the news. As long as there are options and she remains positive, there is hope. Prayers continue.

SteveHL said...

I don't know you, but I have been reading your blog for years. All the best to you and Sandi.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you all. She is very positive and has promised everyone---including me---that she is not going anywhere. I am counting on that.