Friday, November 01, 2013

FFB Review: "The Shootist" by Glendon Swarthout ---Reviewed by Patrick Ohl

Friday means Friday’s Forgotten Books with Patti Abbott. B. V. Lawson is subbing for Patti this week and collecting the links so look here for them today. Her blog is one you should be following already if you haven’t been as there is always lots of good stuff there.

I am partial to Westerns though I don’t get that many submitted for review. Don’t know why that is any more than why I get so many requests to do horror novels when I don’t read or review them. One of life’s little quirks. As we start the merry month of November which includes the national holiday of Thanksgiving as well as my birthday (which should be a day of praise and worship) I give you the below review of The Shootist by Glendon Swarthout as submitted by Patrick Ohl.


Weave a circle round him thrice
And close your eyes with holy dread
For he on honey-dew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Last year, when I reviewed Shane by Jack Schaefer, I admitted that I did not know much about Westerns and that I intended to rectify the mistake. And so today I’d like to talk about another Western that was recommended to me by Bill Pronzini: The Shootist by Glendon Swarthout. Western fans might recognize the title as the title of John Wayne’s final movie, and for good reason: that movie was adapted from the book by the author’s own son, Miles Hood Swarthout. The film co-starred such legendary actors as Lauren Bacall and Jimmy Stewart, and it included other high-profile names: Ron Howard, Scatman Crothers, Richard Boone, Harry Morgan, and John Carradine all come to mind. I consider the movie to be one of the finest Westerns ever made, a poignant valentine to the Western and the type of iconic hero John Wayne might have played. (Indeed, the movie began with a unique sequence, in which a series of clips from Wayne’s glory days in film were used to show his character’s glory days.)

So Glendon Swarthout had a tough act to follow, even though his novel came before the film. I don’t know much about Westerns – honestly, when I think of vintage Westerns I think of the books in the section next to the vintage mystery/thriller section in my favourite used bookstore. Based on my brief perusal of those books, they seem rather similar in content and style, in a derivative pulp-fiction kind of way. But I’m not qualified to comment – I’m as ignorant on the subject as the average mystery writer today is ignorant of the Golden Age of Mysteries. This is simply my impression. So imagine my delight when I discovered that The Shootist was just as good a book as it was a movie – in fact, it might be even better.

John Bernard (J. B.) Books is the titular “shootist” (a term that was once the popular word for a gunman). He comes all the way from Creede, Colorado to El Paso, looking for a doctor. Specifically, he is looking for Dr. Charles Hostetler, who once saved his life when he was shot in the belly. As a consequence, Hostetler is the only medical man Books will trust. Books complains about severe pain in his crotch. After an examination, Hostetler delivers his diagnosis: Books has a carcinoma of the prostate: cancer. He can’t expect to live much longer, and his eventual death is going to be slow and excruciatingly painful. At Books’ request, Hostetler delivers the harsh truth about the kind of death he can expect:

Hostetler pursed his lips. "You will waste away. The process will be slow at first, then rapid."
"Waste away?"
"Loss of flesh. Known as `cachexia.' bones of the face become prominent. The skin takes on a grayish cast. You will be a pretty awful sight. No one will dare tell you, but you will. Pretty awful."
"What else?"
"There will be increasing severity of pain. In the lumbar spine, in the hips and groin."
"What else?"
"Must we go on?"
"Yes."
"Your water will shut off progressively. The bladder will swell because you can't unload it. You will gradually become uremic. Poisoned by your own waste products, due to a failure of the kidneys. By this time the agony will be unbearable, and no drug will moderate it. Hopefully, you will become comatose. Until you do, you will scream."
"Jesus Christ."
Charles Hostetler picked up his bag, walked to the door. His look for the first time was severe, almost angry. "I regret you forced me to be specific, Mr. Books. If you need me, telephone. Good day, sir."

And thus, J. B. Books gets ready for the hardest battle of his life, a battle he is guaranteed to lose. He has gained a reputation as an assassin, and he’s never backed down from a fight. If these are to be his last few weeks on earth, he is going to go out like a man.

But there are other things to consider. He takes up lodgings with Bond Rogers, a widow with one son, Gillom. There is reason to worry about Gillom, who’s been keeping bad company of late. Gillom looks up to and respects J. B. Books, however, and Books decides that he will teach Gillom what it takes to be a real man. At one point, he outlines his moral code to the youngster:

"Everybody has laws he lives by, I expect. I have mine as well."
"What laws?"
Bond Rogers was dismayed. Yet she waited, evidently as curious as her son.
"I will not be laid a hand on. I will not be wronged. I will not stand for an insult. I don't do these things to others. I require the same from them."

The Shootist is a poignant novel which chronicles the last days on earth of J. B. Books, and how he slowly gets ready for his own death. Reporters come to him eager for his life story, wanting to examine the psychology of a murderer. The undertaker comes by to see about Books’ final arrangements. Other local “tough guys” hear that the great assassin is on his deathbed and decide it’d be a fine feather in one’s cap to kill the infamous J. B. Books.

Throughout the novel, the author paints a fascinating and complex portrait of Books, Bond Rogers, and her son Gillom. These three are changed forever by the experience they share in this novel. There are elements of tragedy to this all, and Books’ journey in particular is expressed by a poem which Doc Hostetler shares with Books in an attempt to make conversation. These four lines of poetry keep showing up throughout the novel, and although the poem’s initial appearance is cryptic, its purpose becomes very clear by the novel’s end.

Overall, The Shootist is a masterpiece and a must-read for anyone who enjoys Westerns. Like the best genre fiction, it uses the boundaries to craft a quality piece of fiction. The result is tragic, poignant, and beautiful. The prose, the characters, hell, even the story on its own… all of them are terrific. This is a book that comes highly recommended – it must be experienced to be understood.



Patrick Ohl ©2013
Patrick Ohl is a 20-year old Canadian crime fiction aficionado who enjoys hobbies such as taxidermy and runs a dilapidated motel in the middle of nowhere alongside his crazed mother. He enjoys relaxing in his subterranean evil lair while watching his favourite hockey team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and will occasionally make chicken chow mein to die for. His life is accompanied by a soundtrack composed by John Williams, and James Earl Jones provides occasional voice-overs.

7 comments:

August West said...

My favorite line in this great novel is when J. B. Books sets his fate and decides to give them all something to talk about, and he tells the reader,"There is still a lot of me to kill."

It's a lonely story about a lonely gun hand who wishes if he could, he would live his life differently.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I have never read the book though I have seen the movie. I'm not a fan of the movie.

My thanks to Patrick Ohl for another comprehensive review.

Patrick said...

Kevin,

The one thing that the movie does not have (which is incredibly powerful in novel form) is the vicious, unrelenting progress of Books' cancer, an aspect of the book which is somewhat downplayed in the movie, but it'd have been hard to reproduce it in film form to begin with.

Doc Hostetler warns Books that his laudanum will lose its effectiveness over time, and Books begins by using it sparingly. He prides himself on his manliness, and so he sits through the pain during the day and only uses the laudanum to get to bed. Then comes the first night where the laudanum doesn't get him through the night. Then comes the first day when he uses the laudanum in the early afternoon. And it goes on, relentless. The way Swarthout discusses Book's physical pain is painful to read, and it's a terrific metaphor for the emotional pain he goes through... particularly when an old flame shows up in town again and betrays him.

That being said, I still love the movie. But I do think this book is better. I don't know what you dislike about the movie and whether that means you'd enjoy the book, but I do think from this one exposure that Swarthout is an author well-worth reading. I plan to read some more of his work.

The Kindle edition to this one, incidentally, has an excellent introduction from the author's son about the making of the movie and just how intensely difficult that was for John Wayne (whose own cancer makes his final role all the more ironic).

Kevin R. Tipple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
August West said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
August West said...

I hate to recommend books to any one but there is a little known
Western novel out there called "Me and Gallagher" by an author named Jack Farris. It's one of those Westerns that should be classified as fine American Literature, like "Shane," "The Shootist," and "True Grit."

As for the Movie- I say any film that the Duke stars in is A-Ok with me. And I did enjoy "The Shootist." Ironically it's Wayne's final film before he passed away from cancer.

Kelly Robinson said...

I'm interested in westerns, but I don't have a lot of experience with them outside of film. I'm on the lookout for some to try, and this sounds like a neat one.